Monday, October 1, 2012

Eventful Night, by Adriane Moore :-)


                                                “Eventful Night”

 

The co-workers and I decided it was time for us to have some excitement. With some of us going to school and work, we barely have anytime to hangout. We decided to catch the train to Chicago, not having any plans. We all meet up at the train station. Brittney, Lee, and Tyiana and I all work together. Lee brought two friends with, Josh and Quinmay. The train leaves a 7:50, the time was now 7:45 and as I look around, I notice one person was missing, and it was time to aboard the train. Brittney says, “Wait”, as she catches her chest, from running up the ramp way, “Where’s Tyiana? We can’t leave without her,” Brittney said. With only 3 minutes left to board the train. Tyiana finally comes running up the ramp way, with her shoes in one hand, and her purse in the other. Yelling, “ Hold That train!” We hop on the train, as the conductor shouts out, “All aboard.”

            There I sit, dazing at the dark night, staring at the stars and moon. Thinking to myself, “What a beautiful night.” In my own little world, then all of a sudden, “Adriane, what are you over there thinking about,” Lee asked? “O nothing,” I replied. “Where are we going,” I asked. Lee answers, “Where ever the train takes us.”  Before I could get another work out, the train was at its last stop, Downtown Chicago.

            Getting off the train I see a rusk of people, walking enjoying their night. Parents taking their last scroll through the park. Hoping on the ride home, the kids will be fast asleep. Couples all cuddle upon the bench, keeping each other warm. Homeless man asleep on the bench with a sign that reads, “Can you spare some change, need money for train ticket.’’ My heart stops instantly, as I see the young man shivering with no place to go.  I couldn’t help but to stop and give him 5 dollars, as my friends continue to walk. He looks up at me and says, “May God bless you mam,’’ as he looks up and smile. I replied, “He did, and all I wanted in return was a smile. (Chicago Alliance to end homelessness stats states, there’s approximately 750,000 men, women, and children homeless in the U.S.)

            Running to catch up with the crew, still debating on where we should go, as I stand in front of Walgreens. All I could smell was the sewer and cigarette smoke. First, we decided to catch a cab and head to the clubs. After arriving at the first club, we could hear the music on the outside of the club. It was a fast pace techno type music. We wanted to somewhere, where they played a variety of music, not just one type. Second, we went to the club called, V Live. It was a rusk of people, all different diversity. We dance and drink all night long. We had a blast; everyone was laughing, joking around, and partying. We dance till the club close about 5 a.m.  After all that drinking, it was time to eat. Catching another cab, back to the train station area and to get something to eat. Walking into the restaurant, the aroma of pancakes and eggs, trigger my nose instantly.  There I was sitting at the table booth, when I looked up to the right of me, it was Mel Jackson. The actor known for, “Soul Food” and “Living Single.’’  Thinking to myself, I can’t get out cause its two people blocking me in.” Quick I have to do something to get his attention,” I say to myself. I swiftly turn around, towards the glass and knock. You would have thought the glass was a drum as hard as I bang on it, as everyone looks up from their plate. Hat and shades on at 5:30 in the morning, slowly raises his shades down smiles and winks at me as he’s exiting the restaurant. Heart beating really fast, you could see it through my black lace top, smiling from ear to ear. Coming down from cloud nine, it was time to order.  Glancing over the menu, I realize everything was separate, nothing on the menu came as a meal. We sat and ate, and then we commuted.

            Rushing to the train station, train departing at 6:45, it was 6:35, leaving us ten minutes to get there. Finally we arrived, time was now exactly 6:48, and there was no train in sight! Fifteen minutes went by then another fifteen, still no train. At 7:30 the train arrives, as the passenger’s gets off and so does the conductor. ‘’Doesn’t this train departs at 6:45,’’ I asked. Picking up his briefcase and locking the train door, he looks at me and says, “Train departs at 9:45, that’s the weekday, you read the schedule wrong. Upset, looking over at Lee and screams, “LEE you read the schedule wrong!!! Looking at me laughing, as he takes a seat on the bench and reply’s, “You might as well take a sit down, we got a long way to go. Sitting  there thinking back to the train ride dark and beautiful night, dazing at the stars and moon out the window thinking to myself, “ This is going to be an eventful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment