Thursday, September 27, 2012

The High School Hump by. SaRhonda Jowers

The High School Hump
When I was in high school, I struggled with my grades, there were tremendous tutoring opportunities around the school, but I wasn’t comfortable with being tutored around my peers because I was too embarrassed. I told my mother that I was struggling in my classes and that I needed help with my homework. She said “Well don’t they have tutoring at your school?” I said “Yes, they do but I’m not comfortable in that setting.” I need one on one tutoring so I can better understand.” She said “Well I will see what I can do.” She searched in different centers around the community that had one on one tutoring for me. She finally found the perfect center; it had a good tutoring program that offered free tutoring in all high and elementary school subjects. It was called the Roberto Clemente Center in East Chicago, Indiana. I received great help; my brother also received tutoring also. I passed all my classes that year. As I went through high school I continued to go to the center, I even took a tutoring job when I was in the 12th grade. I guess you can say I grow up in this center, and because my family was so well known in the center and my brother and I did so well in school, the director and the staff of the tutoring program decided to put my family in the newspaper to tell the community about our success and to promote the tutoring program for other family that have children that are struggling with their grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment