Friday, September 28, 2012

Graduation By Taylor Reitz

When I walked up the stairs of my high school in my cap and gown, the typical graduation ceremony song filled my ears and a huge lump formed in my throat as I held back the tears. I felt sad that these four years of a Griffith Panther were behind me, but i was also very excited to start the new chapter of my life. I took my seat next to my fellow classmates and waited patiently through the speeches to receive my diploma.
Following the ceremony i enjoyed lunch at one of my favorite Italian restaurants with my family. While i was devouring my meal my grandma slipped me a card and whispered "Read it later." I didn't want to wait so i quickly broke the envelope seal and I noticed two-hundred and fifty dollars fell onto my lap when I started reading the note she had written me. It said " As you start this new chapter of your life always remember i am with you every step of the way and i support you in every way possible." The dry lump in my throat returned and tears rolled down my cheeks. I was happy she supported me with anything i did and i knew she was proud of me for graduating. "Thank You Grandma" i reassured. I wanted her to know how thankful i really was for her generous gift and for always being on my side.
.When i read the graduation card from her it reminds me how my grandma may not be here physically,because of her lost battle with lung cancer,but she is with me spiritually. I am reminded that she is very proud with every decision I make and i love how just reading an old graduation card can put a smile on my face and make my day so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment